Website content writing is one of the essential aspects of creating a website. Sure, maybe you have professional photos and engaging visuals, the trendiest new transitions, impeccable design, and stylish features — but none of that matters if the written content isn’t driving people to your site. And that’s the ultimate goal of your website content: to attract and engage visitors with valuable, high-quality content.
There are a few tricks to website content writing that accomplish this goal. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the big one, a strategy that inserts keywords into the content, so your website ranks higher on search engines, such as Google. Other aspects of strong SEO and writing tactics include valuable and lengthy content, which we explore more in-depth below. If you apply these approaches to your website content writing, you should start to see more visitors to your site while improving engagement and reducing bounce backs.
How To Write Website Content
Website content is whatever you put on your website, from your main home page to landing pages, like the about or services sections or weekly blog posts. Anything that’s on your website now, or published at a later date, falls into this category. When you first build a website, you’ll want to apply an SEO strategy to all your main and landing pages. Then, you’ll continue those tactics as you produce more content in the form of additional service pages, blogs, or products.
There are a few general rules to good website content:
- Provide Value. Don’t just write a bunch of fluff to fill a page; instead, ensure that what you’re publishing truly offers your visitors and readers value that’s informative and up-to-date. This is important for SEO (Google and other search engines love high value), but it also keeps visitors coming back. User experience is key to growing engagement on your website and positions you as a leader in your industry, which opens doors to other opportunities like podcasts, eBooks, or webinars.
- Use Imagery. A picture is worth a thousand words. You don’t want your web pages to be a block of text, so as you build your content and start the writing process, consider your site’s overall look. Add imagery that supports your content and helps break up text to make it easier to read.
- Call-to-Action is Your Best Friend. Call-to-action (CTA) buttons are your website’s bread and butter. They can be actions like ‘Contact Us Today!’ or ‘Learn More’ or ‘Get Yours Now!’ Without them, your readers must find where to support you on their own. If it’s too difficult to find, you risk losing visitors. But by sprinkling CTAs throughout your website, you increase the chance that your visitors will turn into clients and customers.
- Short and Sweet or Long and Informative? When it comes to landing pages, short and concise is your mantra. Readers won’t spend too much time digging through your web pages in search of the information they need. Instead, write short, quippy content that catches your audience’s eye and leads them to the information they seek, so they spend more time perusing your site. However, when it comes to blog writing, you can’t create high-value content with less than 500 words, so you should shoot for closer to 1,000 or 2,000 words per post to truly offer an informative piece to your readers. Don’t go crazy and write a book, but, generally speaking, the longer, the better. For both, don’t forget the next rule.
- Use Researched Keywords, Both Short and Long. Keywords are what help you rank higher on search engines. These are the words, phrases, and questions that your readers use when on the internet. So if you use them consistently in your website content, you’re more likely to get in front of your target audience. You can research these keywords yourself or hire an agency like Zeal to do the work. Either way, you need both long and short keywords that your audience uses regularly.
SEO Content Writing Services
The talk of keywords is the perfect segway into SEO content writing services. As mentioned above, keywords are the ultimate strategy when increasing your rank on search engines. They’re critical components of SEO writing and an absolute must when producing content for your website. Finding the right keywords takes time and research. You need to find the exact words, phrases, and questions your target audience uses every day. Then, you need to add these keywords (both long and short) to your web pages consistently.
At Zeal Marketing Group, we offer SEO content writing services that include keyword research, on-page optimization, and XML sitemaps. Together, these strategies organically increase your ranking and page views. We also offer analytics to know when your hard work is paying off and where to make improvements. For those looking to use ads for nonorganic reach, our team also specializes in strategies like Google ads.
Of course, you can tackle SEO content writing on your own, but many businesses (large and small) outsource this work due to the importance of keyword research. Your goal is to rank higher on search engines so you can increase page views, engagement, clients and customers, and revenue. So a small investment could go a long way. Small businesses, large enterprises, start-ups, nonprofits, and personal websites can benefit from professional SEO content writing services.
If you choose to outsource website content writing services, you need to find skilled writers who know particular strategies for web pages. SEO, XML sitemaps, analytics, engaging and valued content, optimization, and ads should be in your writer’s toolbox. Most website authors come with a marketing background and understand how to intertwine website content with other techniques, like social media marketing and email marketing. They’ll also know the essential differences between organic and inorganic (paid) reach and help you navigate ads if you choose to go that route.
Bottom line: any old writer won’t do. You need someone who knows website platforms like Wix, Shopify, WordPress, or Weebly and knows how to write for a web strategy and audience.
High-Quality Content Writing Services
Besides securing SEO writers particular to website content writing, it’s also imperative to find high-quality writing services. As you now know, providing informative, up-to-date value for your readers is a key SEO strategy. Thus, your website needs to focus on this value and, therefore, hire strong writers.
Imagine you’re visiting a website and you read a services page or a blog post. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does it inform you?
- Does it help you solve a problem?
- Does it leave you wanting more?
- Will you return to that website?
When a website provides true value that readers can use, not only will you rank higher in search engines, but you’ll also engage readers and create life-long customers, fans, and supporters. If you’re selling products or services on your site, high-value content and reader engagement is worth the big bucks! A HubSpot study showed that 14.6% of organic searches led to website purchases. In comparison, only 1.7% of ads resulted in a purchase. This proves what digital marketers already know: strong content marketing, which includes high-quality content writing, drives sales.
Why Should I Hire a Website Content Writer?
We hope that by now, you can answer this question on your own! Writing your website or hiring your English majoring second-cousin probably won’t help you reach your fullest potential. Website content writers are experts in their field and know how to create a killer site that engages readers, ranks high on search engines, and increases ROI. The investment is worth it.
Zeal Marketing Group offers marketing and writing packages that fit any budget. Let us know how we can help you reach your goals.